It might seem like the most mundane thing to do. But if done wrong it can affect the quality of your hair. And most people get this wrong. Let me take a guess. More often than not this is how you dry your hair.
If you’re running late, you take a blow dryer and nuke up the moisture and bring your hair to a crisp.
If you have time in your hands, you probably let it air dry it out or wrap it around a towel.
Both are wrong. So what is the right way to dry your hair?
Questions about drying your hair? And want to know the best ways to dry your hair?
I’ve covered an entire article on how to dry your hair. The best techniques to dry hair without damaging your hair!
So let’s find out!
Is it bad to let your hair dry out naturally?
One of the most popular ways to dry one’s hair is by drying it out naturally. But is this the best way? Recent research has suggested that drying your hair out naturally is not the best way.
Let’s find out why.
Why is air drying bad for your hair?
Let’s lay it out here. The more the water stays in your hair, the worse it is for your hair. Water slowly damages your hair by breaking down the natural proteins in your hair. It breaks down the strength of your hair and the scalp and leads to hair fall.
This is why letting your hair sit on your head is never a good idea. Your hair gets damp, sticky and overall uncomfortable.
Why do women air dry their hair?
Its the easiest way. Most women are on the move after their hair bath. They need to go out to work or a party and they can’t spend idle time drying out their hair. Because it’s convenient to air dry while they are doing something, air drying is popular.
But there’s a way which will get you ready much faster and quicker, which we’ll get to soon.
Is blow drying your hair bad for you?
Blow drying hair is one of the worst things that one can do to their hair. Heat is never good in most circumstances. Artificial heat that is so close to the scalp, that almost scalds your skin can never be good.
Have you ever tried directing the blow drying heat towards your skin? You can’t bear it after a few seconds. It’s very hot. It’s the same thing with our scalp and hair. Just because you can’t feel it as strongly on your scalp, it doesn’t mean you aren’t causing damage.
Why blow drying is bad for your hair
Here is a list of things that can happen when you blow dry your hair.
- It can remove the natural moisture out of your hair that is necessary to keep your hair silky and smooth and it ends up frizzing your hair. Think of what hot and humid climates do to your hair.
- The heat can weaken the bond between your hair and your scalp and leads to massive increases in hair fall.
- It destroys cuticles and your hair’s lustre is lost. Natural hair has lustre and it can be lost because of excessive heating.
Does towel drying make your hair frizzy?
The answer to the question is here. The best way to dry your hair is to actually towel dry it. You know how you roll up a towel around your hair and walk around and do your thing? That’s a good first step. It may not be the most effective because it takes a long time.
But it still is the best way. For people who are worried if your towel drying technique will make your hair frizzy, then you can move to a microfiber cloth or you can go with a different technique.
How to towel dry your hair out
- Do not be rough with your hair. I see a lot of my friends who go to town on their hair and are super rough with it. What you need to do is to absorb the water from your hair and squeeze it out as effectively as possible.
- Use a microfiber cloth that reduces frizzy hair.
- Use multiple towels if required to make the absorption time much quicker. A single towel can only take so much water at once.
Healthiest way to dry hair
Now you know the best way to dry your hair out the best way. Let’s list down the steps to drying your hair out.
Immediately after you get out of the shower, try to squeeze out the excess water in your hair by just crumpling the hair. This will take most of the water out.
- Once you are out of the bathroom. Wrap portions of your hair with a towel and give it a squeeze. You can pat your hair, or wrap and squeeze. This should take most of the hair out.
- Tie the towel to your hair and ensure to run other errands.
- This should take most of the moisture out. Now take a blow dryer and gently blow dry your hair for not more than 3 to 4 minutes in the lowest possible heat.
- Your hair is dry and ready to be styled.
After your hair is dried, you can always apply some of your favourite hair products to reduce the frizziness of your hair.
As you can see the best techniques to dry your hair out is natural. You don’t need a blow dryer or you don’t need to use a comb to straighten your hair. You just need a soft towel and some time!
Also Read :