Regret the red dye you gave yourself? Bored of the colour and want to switch up or go all-natural? Here’s how to remove red hair color.
You can easily remove red dye from your hair and bring using a commercial-grade hair colour remover or even a home remedy!
Related: Best Commerical Hair Dye Removers
Even if you have light hair, you can easily remove red pigments from your hair and bring your natural hair colour back in a few steps that can even be done at home.
But it is recommended to get the process done with the help of an experienced colourist to make sure that there is no room for mistakes.
If you have been planning to get rid of red dye from your hair or want to know more about the process, read the different hair color removers for red hair listed below:
How To Remove Red Hair Color
Commercial Hair Color Removers For Red Hair
This is the first and foremost option for the colour removal process. You have to strip the dye off your hair.
The faster you take it out, the easier it gets to remove the colour. You can easily get rid of your existing artificial permanent or semi-permanent colour from your natural hair.
A lot of people think that dark colours like red is a long term commitment and you will have to wait until it fades to switch your hair colour but that is not true.
You can easily use one of the various hair colour removers that are available in the market.
A hair colour remover is a product or a mix of products that combine and act on your hair shafts to remove any artificial colour that might be on your strands.
This process usually takes about twenty minutes but it can also depend on the hair colour remover you are using.
It is recommended to get this done with the help of an experienced colourist since there is a chance that you get uneven results after colouring or even end up with patches of coloured hair that hasn’t gone back to its natural shade.
Colour B4 Extra Strength Hair Colour Remover
This particular hair colour remover is especially good for dark hair like red and black. It is also a 100% natural product and you can immediately recolour your hair after removing your existing hair colour using this.
Colour X-change Phase-out Gentle Dye Decolouriser+ Hair Mask
This is a hair colour remover + hair mask that helps in moisturising and conditioning your hair while removing any artificial hair colour. You just have to leave the product on your hair overnight and rinse it in the morning to achieve great results.
L’Oreal Paris Effasol Colour Remover
This L’Oreal product works like a shampoo to remove artificial hair colour. It lathers up to create a foam and washes away the hair colour to reveal an even-toned natural hair. The natural hair colour is not exactly the same, it tends to lighten a bit after using this product.
Dandruff Shampoo and Baking Soda
You can easily get rid of artificial hair colour on your hair using these two ingredients! An anti-dandruff shampoo tends to fade away the permanent and semi-permanent colour from your hair.
But when it is mixed with baking soda which is a natural bleaching agent in itself, you get amazing results. Mix both the products and leave them on your hair for at least a few minutes before rinsing your hair multiple times.
Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water. You also have to make sure to follow up with a nourishing hair mask or a hair treatment since this process can really dry out your hair and make it unhealthy.
Hydrogen Peroxide is one of the most important ingredients in permanent hair dyes. It acts as a bleach to lighten your hair.
This chemical works directly on the cortex to make your hair colour lighter.
They usually transform your original hair colour into a lighter shade so that the new hair colour is absorbed well and is well pigmented on your hair.
How to remove red hair color with hydrogen peroxide:
- Mix equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle.
- Since hydrogen peroxide causes skin irritation, cover the adjacent areas of the skin using petroleum jelly and make sure to wear gloves.
- Do a patch test.
- Cover your shoulders and neck using a cloth.
- Spray the solution all over your hair or in places where you want to remove the colour and wait for fifteen minutes to one hour.
- Rinse your hair and check the results. You might have to do this a few times to get better results.
Dish soap can easily help in getting rid of unwanted red colour from your hair. You just have to use it like regular soap.
The dish soap helps in effectively breaking up oil on your dishes. It works similarly on hair colour to get rid of it.
However, you cannot expect immediate results using this process and you will have to wash your hair a few times to get good results.
Also, make sure to avoid desert-dry locks in the process. It can really make your hair dry and dehydrated so make sure to nourish and moisturise your hair using a hair mask or a conditioner after doing this.
This is one of the safest methods you can follow to remove red hair colour from your home. Vitamin C is a nourishing ingredient that contains acids.
It helps in oxidising the colour molecules and removes the artificial colour on your hair.
How to remove red hair color with Vitamin C:
- Crush a few vitamin C tablets and bring them to a powdery consistency.
- Add hot water to create a thick paste.
- Apply immediately into your hair and leave for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse off and use a deep conditioning treatment or mask.
You could also combine Vitamin C and Anti-dandruff shampoo to get similar results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful ingredient for your hair since it provides a lot of benefits. It is packed with vitamins and minerals that nourish your hair and accelerate hair growth.
ACV also has anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing scalp irritations, dandruff, inflammation etc.
This is a great ingredient that you can find in your kitchen that helps in getting rid of red hair colour.
How to remove red hair color with Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Mix ½ tablespoon of ACV and 1 cup water.
- After shampooing your hair. Pour this mixture and rinse with plain water.
ACV doesn’t remove the hair colour completely but it helps in lightening your shade but if you do this a few times, you can see better results.
A hot oil massage is one of the best ways to pamper your hair at home. It acts as a hair mask and provides intense hydration and nourishment to your scalp while soothing irritations, drying, itching etc.
Little do we know that hot oil can be an excellent tool to fade artificial hair colour from your hair.
How to remove red hair color with hot oil:
- Warm up any oil of your choice (coconut oil, argan oil, olive oil, jojoba oil etc).
- Apply it generously on your hair and massage it from the root to the tip.
- Wrap your hair with a towel and leave it on for a few hours or even overnight for best results.
- Shampoo using an anti-dandruff shampoo or a clarifying shampoo.
Lemon juice is like a natural bleach and helps in lightening hair. It has been used for lightening facial hair for ages.
It is rich in citric acid that assists in lightening your hair by reacting with oxygen.
This works really well for those with naturally light hair like blonde or brunette as compared to those with black or dark hair.
Make sure to do this on unwashed hair for the best results.
How to remove red hair color with lemon juice:
- Squeeze lemon juice into a spray bottle. The number of lemons depends on the length and thickness of your hair.
- Add a conditioner or water that is about double the amount of lemon juice into the bottle and shake well.
- Apply this concoction into the parts of your hair that you want to lighten.
- If you stay out in the sun, the lightening process speeds up since the UV rays help in triggering the lightening.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water after a few hours under the sun.
- Follow up with a conditioner or a hair mask.
- You will need to do this multiple times before you start to see results.
This is one of the least recommended methods since it can be very damaging to your hair.
How to remove red hair color with bleach baths:
- Mix equal parts of shampoo and bleach.
- Apply it on a few strands first to make sure that it doesn’t overprocess your hair.
- Leave the mixture on your hair for over thirty minutes but keep on checking every five minutes for changes.
- Rinse your hair and follow up with a conditioner or hair mask.
Hair color accidents are inevitable. But don’t worry if you’re wondering how to remove red hair color, these products can come very handy.
Now you can experiment with hair dye as much as you like!
Even if something doesn’t turn up the way you want, you can always go back and correct it with these hair color remover for red hair.
Mira is committed to bringing you the latest popular hairstyles, hair care tips, and hair-related products. You can check more of her work on besthairlooks to find fashion inspiration, product reviews, tutorials and more!
Colour B4 Extra Strength Hair Colour Remover
These hair color removers for red hair help lighten red tones from your tresses. The Colour B4. Hair Colour Remover Extra Strength is suitable for all hair colors.
Product SKU: NTNLHO299GK2
Product Brand: Color B4
Product Currency: $30.00
Price Valid Until: 2022-02-12
Product In-Stock: InStock