Ever taken a look at the back of a shampoo bottle or serum, you’ll definitely find glycerin in the ingredients list. But is glycerin good for your hair? Read on to find out!
You want to know why hair product brands are so crazy about glycerin?
It’s because it’s a humectant which means that it can absorb moisture from the atmosphere and attach it to your skin or hair.
Related: How To Use Hibiscus For Hair Growth
Related: Is Cold Water Good For Hair Growth
Commercially-used glycerin is usually derived from coconut oil, palm oil, and soybean.
Glycerin is a substance that is naturally present in a lot of natural fats. It is transparent and has a liquid consistency. This substance is commonly present in our skin but can also be manufactured synthetically.
If you would like to know more about this substance and is glycerin good for your hair follow this article.
Is Glycerin Good For Your Hair
While there has not been much information about glycerin eliminating dandruff completely, it helps in soothing your scalp and reducing the itchy flakes by moisturizing your hair.
If you are struggling with dandruff and want to relieve the symptoms, glycerin would be a great choice.
This is also because glycerin has anti-microbial properties which help in calming down such infections.
Most hair moisturizing products are usually oil-based and get the moisturizing properties from these oils.
But glycerin has a watery consistency and literally looks like water. It can draw moisture from the atmosphere and provide hydration to your hair and skin.
You can make your own DIY deep conditioning treatments using this amazing ingredient.
Prevents split ends
Split ends are usually very common among people with dry hair. So glycerin can help in preventing the formation of split ends by providing sufficient moisture to your strands.
This helps in maintaining the health of your hair shaft which keeps split ends at bay. You can spray glycerin onto your ends after washing your hair to get good results.
Regulates the production of sebum
When the scalp produces excess sebum your hair appears to be greasy and you will have to wash your oily hair more often than you used to.
Glycerin can help in preventing this issue by balancing the production of sebum from your scalp.
Improves overall scalp health
Glycerin is not just for moisturizing your hair. It also moisturizes your scalp and keeps it healthy. They are also experts in combating scalp inflammations and irritations.
It creates a healthy environment to stimulate hair growth.
It is a matter of fact that healthy hair needs a lot of moisturization. The moisture-absorbing properties of glycerin help in fortifying your hair and making it stronger.
Your hair becomes immune to damage and breakage after using glycerin regularly. This can also make your hair look smooth and shiny.
Frizzy hair is very common among people with dull and dehydrated hair. The root cause is often dryness.
So when glycerin tackles these issues, it automatically reduces the frizz on your hair.
This is also a great ingredient for people with curly and wavy hair since it helps in maintaining the shape of your coils and curl patterns.
Is Glycerin suitable for all hair types?
You have to first understand and consider your hair type before applying any glycerin-infused product or DIY treatment.
The effect of glycerin on your hair is directly related to the porosity of your hair.
If it can absorb moisture well, then glycerin will be a great ingredient for your hair and will work wonders. Otherwise, the results might not be that prominent.
If your hair is more tightly bound, it could have high porosity and absorbs the moisture well. This will give you good results after using glycerin on it.
But if you have freshly colored hair, you should wait for at least two weeks before using glycerin since it could wash off the color.
People usually don’t have a lot of bad reactions to glycerin but it is recommended to take a patch test on both your hair and skin to be sure about it.
It works well with damaged hair and revives it. It acts as a conditioner and seals the moisture in your strands.
Glycerin is a very versatile substance that can be used in various forms like a hair mask, leave-in conditioner, hair spray, etc.
There are a lot of DIY glycerin treatments that you can make with ingredients available at your home.
How to use glycerin on the hair?
Although there are a lot of hair care products like shampoos and conditioners with glycerin infused inside, they might not give you the best results.
If you want to make the most out of glycerin, you have to buy the purest forms of glycerin. But it is important to be sure of the purity of the substance, the source of it, and its strength.
It is recommended to dilute the glycerin in water since it could be a little too strong.
After getting your hands on pure glycerin, you can use it to make a lot of DIY hair treatments which will give you great results.
These are super easy to make and won’t take up much of your time
DIY Glycerin Recipes for the Hair
DIY Glycerin Hair Detangler
- Vegetable Glycerin – 1 tablespoon
- Distilled water – 4 tablespoon
- Tea tree essential oil – 4 drops
- Bergamot essential oil– 4 drops
- Peppermint essential oil – 4 drops
- Lavender essential oil – 4 drops
- Take a small spray bottle and combine the distilled water and vegetable glycerin in it.
- You can use a funnel to make sure that there is no spillage. Add all the essential oils and close the bottle.
- Shake well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Keep the bottle away from your hair and spray it on the knots and tangles in your hair, especially at the ends.
This recipe works great for people with curly and coarse hair. It helps in detangling while brushing the hair. The exotic concoction of the essential oils makes it smell heavenly.
DIY Glycerin Hair Mask
- Vegetable glycerin – 1 teaspoon
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Egg – 1
- Castor oil – 2 teaspoon
- Ylang-ylang oil – 7 drops (optional)
- Take a bowl and combine the egg, vegetable glycerin, apple cider vinegar and castor oil.
- You can also use the essential oil or any essential oil of your choice to give it a fragrance.
- Combine all the ingredients using a whisk and bring it into a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your scalp and hair, focusing more on your ends. You can cover your hair with a shower cap or simply clip your hair up to prevent dripping from the mask.
- Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
- Follow up with a shampoo and let your hair air dry.
If you are looking for a hair mask that can moisturize your dehydrated hair, you should give this one a try. It makes your hair smooth and silky. You can use this once a week to get great results.
DIY Glycerin Moisturising Spritz
- Rosewater/ distilled water – 1 cup
- Glycerin – 1 tablespoon
- Rosehip seed oil – 1 teaspoon
- Rosemary essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Ylang ylang essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Take a spray bottle and pour the rose water or distilled water into it. Use a funnel for better precision.
- Pour the glycerin and rosehip seed oil.
- Close the bottle and shake it to make sure that the ingredients are combined well.
- Add in your favourite essential oils and shake them again.
- Keep it a few centimetres away from your hair and spray on dehydrated hair.
This is a great leave-in moisturizer spray for people with dry hair. You can spray it on your hair on days when you don’t wash it.
DIY Glycerin Pre-poo
- Glycerine – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil – 3- 5 tablespoon
- Sweet almond oil – 3- 5 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 3- 5 tablespoon
- Jojoba oil – 3- 5 tablespoon
- Grapeseed oil – 3- 5 tablespoon
- Lavender essential oil – 5 drops
- Take a bowl and combine all the ingredients.
- Massage the concoction on your scalp and your hair, focusing on the dry ends.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or pull your hair up and pin it with a hair clip
- You have to leave it for at least an hour or even overnight.
- Follow up with a shampoo and conditioner. You might have to shampoo twice to get rid of the product from your hair.
A pre-poo is a hair mask that you apply to your hair before taking a shower.
This is very common among people with curly hair because it provides intense nourishment and moisturization to the hair.
If your hair gets really dry after shampooing, you should try out this treatment.
Glycerin is a key ingredient in hair care and skin care products because it is great for your skin and hair.
It has hydrating properties that are really beneficial for people with curly, thick, or coarse hair.
So to answer your question. Yes, glycerin is good for your hair!
Mira is committed to bringing you the latest popular hairstyles, hair care tips, and hair-related products. You can check more of her work on besthairlooks to find fashion inspiration, product reviews, tutorials and more!